English version of the Keith Richards article in Aftonbladet November 10th, 2010:
On August 4, 2007, The Rolling Stones, got a 2 out of 5 review for the gig at Ullevi in Gothenburg, Sweden, of tabloid Aftonbladets music reviewer Markus Larsson, 34.
A review that enraged guitarist Keith Richards, 67.
Afterwards, he demanded a public apology.
Yesterday, the two met for an interview at Le Meurice Hotel in Paris about Keith Richards’s autobiography ”Life”.
The meeting ended with the rock star threatening Markus Larsson and hitting him in the head.
- Before he stormed out he hit me in the head and hissed: ”You’re lucky to get out of here alive,” said Markus Larsson.
The interview would have lasted for half an hour, but when, after ten minutes of the interview Keith Richards realized it was Markus Larsson, who wrote the review, the mood of the rock star quickly changed.
- He was in a good mood before I started to ask about the gig at Ullevi. He drank something yellow and smoked and laughed. But it quickly became uncomfortable, said Markus Larsson.
It even went so far as to Keith Richards physically threatening Markus Larsson.
- His eyes got black and he was absolutely furious. He stood up and asked if we would put out the lights and settle the disagreement straight away.
What did you feel?
- At first I was just surprised, I thought he was pulling my leg, but then I realized he was serious and then I felt uncomfortable and I just wanted to get out of there pretty fast.
Markus Larsson has been a music reviewer for eleven years but has never experienced anything like this.
- Right now, I cannot see the funny side of this. I would like to experience a lot in my life but I do not want to end up in a scuffle with anyone I interview, he says.
Fanny Birath is public relations manager at Norstedts, publishers of Keith Richards’s autobiography:
- It is sad what happened, but I can not comment on their conflict. It was between them in a closed room and I was not there, she says.
Klas Lindberg, head of entertainment news at Aftonbladet:
- Keith Richards behavior is completely unacceptable. That he would be so hostile and aggressive towards our employee in this quiet and controlled interview situation, was surprising and extremely uncomfortable. Attacking a journalist in this way is serious. Richards is clearly out of balance and I hope that people close to him reacts, he says.
By: Martin Gustafsson